1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you're agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  3. Ads have been temporarily removed!
    Account Upgrades are now our only source of income!
  4. Sign up to set up your teamspeak account!

Update part 5. Stuff and plans.

Discussion in 'Announcements.' started by jamiew0w, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamiew0w

jamiew0w Administrator
    Staff Member

Past threads:

To-Do List:
    1. Notification system for upcoming streams and notices when it goes live.
    2. RSS bot to relay new threads/posts to #welp (currently on ice because of cloudflare)
    3. Over the coming weeks and months I'm going to make some massive changes to the backend side of welp.me and everything around it. I'm going to shift the IRC server, IRC services, the Bots and the teamspeak onto a new server, probably another SSD VPS. I'm going to shift the website onto a new server also with a much better setup (re: memcached, varnish) and reverse proxies.
      TL;DR: Everythings ugly and it's spring cleaning time.
    4. Overhaul of all plugins and the xenforo install itself.
    5. Re-do my backup system and integrate it with my nextcloud install.

Done List:
    1. Started using reverse proxies for some stuff. Notably ZNC which now has it's own tab.
    2. Removed the Status stuff I was using (phpservermon) because it was garbage.
    3. Replaced the Status stuff with Uptime Robot and it's own tab.
    4. Added the FTB gameserver, removed the other two.
    5. Fixed the robots.txt and the sitemap generation.
    6. Got a job.

2. jamiew0w

jamiew0w Administrator
    Staff Member

Fixed an annoying bug with invalid session cookies on ZNC.

Reverted a change I made in nextcloud, minor.

3. jamiew0w

jamiew0w Administrator
    Staff Member

Did a lot of work over the weekend on my archive storage server. Everything properly linked up there, plex requests, couchpotato and plex. Currently uploading my home backup of 1.6tb, will take 2-3 days. Then sonarr will kick in and take it from there.

Not sure what I'm going to do with my home server at the moment. All I know at this stage is it's going to be running ubuntu again.

Also made a massive change in nextcloud, previously it was caching in root (facepalm) and would constantly error out - It's now fully moved and symlinked up. Happy days. Unfortunately due to the relatively fast turnaround on my stored data, it doesn't look like nextcloud is the best solution, time will tell.

Tried a new plugin to resize images on the forum, didn't work. The image cache is swelling pretty large, will have to look into it again over the next week.

Made some minor changes to the ftb server, it now restarts every 12 hours instead of 6, and only 4 backups are kept instead of 12. Dropped dropbox as an alternate backup, now using my own nextcloud server and google drive.

4. jamiew0w

jamiew0w Administrator
    Staff Member

Wrapping up this as 2016 is over and it's a good time.

With the last update there was, well a lot of updating mostly.

Xenforo was brought up to date and all plugins were updated. Those that weren't updated were either removed or disabled. I removed the two factor plugin as it's now in Xenforo core. Bough and updated the streaming plugins and it's now working properly, again. Will probably have some work to do on the style in the next update.

Disabled TLS 1.0 and 1.1, did some other minor security work. Looking into offloading some stuff onto Cloudfront and utilizing a CDN properly.

The IRC server, services and bots are all gone and more than likely, won't be coming back.

To-Do List;
    1. Notification system for upcoming streams and notices when it goes live.
    2. RSS bot to relay new threads/posts to #welp (currently on ice because of cloudflare)
    3. I already have a backup system in place but want something more permanent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.