1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you're agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  3. Ads have been temporarily removed!
    Account Upgrades are now our only source of income!
  4. Sign up to set up your teamspeak account!

Update part 3. Livestreaming and stuff.

Discussion in 'Announcements.' started by jamiew0w, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamiew0w

jamiew0w Administrator
    Staff Member

1. Rebuilt the livestreaming platform from scratch on a new server. Unfortunately no transcoding so source quality for all! It's going to stay passworded until further notice. You can find it at the livestream tab.
    2. Built the popout chat for the stream page, this took a lot longer than I'm willing to admit. Replaced with better sidebar chat.
    3. Changed around the sidebar for a lot of the site, now everything's more uniform.
    4. Changed the routing for custom pages, livestream, about and chat. Now they appear under /content instead of /pages.
    5. Cut out more redundant plugins and updated the rest.
    6. Setup some IRC relay bots, these will eventually relay a bunch of channels to our IRC and vice versa, unifying everything. IE - grouping several of our twitch chats together.
    7. Did *most* of the work on an HTML5 player for hosted content, vods etc. This probably won't be finished until I've done up a proper archive system. Note: Stream will be flash until I change from RTMP to HLS, no timeframe on this.

Plans for the next few weeks:
      1. Sort out a notification system for when the stream comes online and a calendar (or something better) for planned streams.
      2. Modify the livestreaming page so that the chat opens by default in the sidebar and make the whole page responsive.
      3. Change from RTMP to HLS.
      4. IRC Twitch chat relays.
      5. Sort out a solution to the twitch stream plugin.
    Will update this as stuff gets added or finished.

2. jamiew0w

jamiew0w Administrator
    Staff Member

Fixed a duplication bug with the FTP, added a part to the FAQ concerning it also.

Fixed an oversight with cloudflare and IP moderation.

3. jamiew0w

jamiew0w Administrator
    Staff Member

Built a new IRC chatpage using, seems to be working pretty well. You can access it under the Chat tab, Beta or click here.

SSL is not supported yet as I don't have a wildcard SSL cert, only standard. The IRC connection itself uses SSL.

Will most likely be using this system to integrate with the Livestream page and will also be keeping the KiwiIRC page for now (assuming something will break somewhere).

4. jamiew0w

jamiew0w Administrator
    Staff Member

Made some changes, a few were kinda rash but we'll see how it works over a few days.

Site's now responsive, I added a chatbox for the stream to all pages, teamspeak overrules it at the portal. Eventually I'm going to limit it to only the livestream page.

Don't think I can remove timestamps from it permanently, really annoying. Can't iframe my own webchat as it's not under SSL.

Very frustrating, will probably end up rolling back some of these changes.

5. jamiew0w

jamiew0w Administrator
    Staff Member

Rolled it back a small bit, widened it and fixed up the "stream chat" bit in the sidebar, can't fix the white line, no idea why. Finalised the new chat page and will set it as the only option later on tonight. Some minor changes to the livestream page incoming, after that not much will be done the next few days.

Edit; made the video responsive, looks far better now.

6. jamiew0w

jamiew0w Administrator
    Staff Member

Made some minor theme adjustments.

1. Removed the "share this page from the sidebar".
    2. Removed the navigation breadbox's from header and footer.
    3. Made the "mark forums read etc" bar permanent as the dropdown was a bit unintuitive.
    4. Fixed the "forum stats" box, now it displays its title properly.
    5. Added some rugby mirrors for those unable to watch. These will be removed once it's finished.
    6. Added twitch.tv links to the livestream page.
    7. Modified the notices system. Now it shows on all pages but doesn't show if registered and logged in.
    8. Renamed the new webchat, should be clearer now when on this page.
    9. Tidied up the extra text at the bottom of the chat page and made it clearer..

7. jamiew0w

jamiew0w Administrator
    Staff Member

Very minor changes tonight, fixed up some links to open in new windows. The twitch.tv links on the livestream page and the webchat button on the chat tab.

Changed source for a bunch of IRC relays. Will eventually permanently remove the kiwiirc chat integration, just have to find a better way of integrating our own webchat first.

8. jamiew0w

jamiew0w Administrator
    Staff Member

Some behind the scenes IRC stuff today mostly. Tried to embed our own IRC webchat behind an SSL proxy but it wouldn't load proper in Firefox/Chrome, only IE so naturally I ditched it. Contemplated moving it from "webchat.welp.me" to "welp.me/chat" but would require changing a lot of stuff and probably breaking even more. Haven't fully decided on it yet, dreading it but the upside would be it'd be behind SSL and then I could embed it...goddamit, tempting.

Tried several alternatives, even other sites (embed.ly etc) and wasn't satisified with any of the outcomes. One easy solution is buying a wildcard SSL, but they cost approximately 80-90euro annually so not exactly rushing on that front.

Spoofed the IRC connection details better, webchat users now show as connecting from localhost - the qwebirc spoof was outdated (or I couldn't get it to work, either or).

Will be overhauling how services interact with the server tomorrow, I haven't really changed it since I've set it up so it's still a little vulnerable.

Changed the "chat" tab at the top of the page to go straight to the webchat page, kiwiirc embeds still work in the sidebar.

Lastly, as a note for later, I need to (again) modify the IRC relays, found a bug but it's 9:30am and I need to sleep. Also going to work on getting (or modifying a current IRC bot) a new IRC relay to parse RSS feeds and post to the assigned channel, shouldn't be too difficult.

9. jamiew0w

jamiew0w Administrator
    Staff Member

Gonna try round everything off over the next 2-3 days. Dabbled with an RSS plugin but it won't fetch for some reason, annoying. Upgraded the irc bots (except the twitch relays) to a supybot fork, limnoria. Working well so far.

10. jamiew0w

jamiew0w Administrator
    Staff Member

Wrapping this up here and will move over to the next one tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.